Sunday, April 22, 2012

DIY Dry Erase Boards

At the beginning of the year I was in need for a classroom set of dry erase boards. Being a broke first year teacher, I knew that wasn't going to happen. My sister is genius when it comes to creating things out of things you already have. I shared with her one day that I was in need of dry erase boards for each of my students and that is when she gave me this genius, easy idea! Use DVD cases and turn the jackets inside out. DUH! Why didn't I think of that! I had my students each bring in a DVD case. Because my room is super colorful, I had the students take out the jackets, trace around them on a piece of construction paper, cut them out and slide them into the DVD case cover.
The dry erase marker wipes right off of the plastic on the DVD case! It wasn't until we were going through Kleenex box after Kleenex box that I thought, we need something else to wipe our work off with. That's where the glove comes in! I was browsing the aisle at my local Joann Fabrics Store when I saw a huge bin of stretchy gloves on clearance! (My FAVORITE word! CLEARANCE!) Each pair was .50! Instantly, I knew these would be GREAT cheap erasers for our DVD cases! Because the gloves are so thin, they fit PERFECTLY inside of the DVD case!

It is a beautiful thing in my classroom when I can say get out your dry erase marker and go get a dry erase board and everything is right there! I also love that it doesn't take up a bunch of space in my classroom. They all fit perfectly into this basket that the teacher before me left behind! This summer I will be on the look out for a smaller dry erase marker that I can fit into the DVD case along with the glove! Thanks Nikki for being such a genius! I guess we could say that today's idea would be Nikterested!

27 comments:

  1. Awesome idea. I love to reuse things I already have ior can get free. Very smart, I agree!,

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you using these mini dry erase boards for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. consider changing out the cover based on what you are using them for. Have one set of inserts for number line addition/subtraction, one for venn diagrams, word sorts, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute idea! I'm sharing it on FB.

    Michelle @ Teach123

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. I need to try this. I find small dry erase markers at The Dollar Tree every year before school starts. 3 for a dollar and they have a small eraser on the top of them, or Target dollar spot had 3 for a dollar also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! Someone on pinterest suggested using the backside of plastic plates as whiteboards- cheap and easy to store!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just to let you know, at Target they have a pack of 2 mini dry erasers for $1 in the dollar spot just another idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea! While I do have white boards for my students, having them sit on the rug just means too many distractions! These would be easy to store and pass out! I also have fleece scraps that I use to erase their white boards. Put a marker and eraser together and I am good to go! Thanks for such a simple yet great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. they have small 3 packs of dry erase markers at the dollar tree. I bet they would fit inside. Good luck. CUTE!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. they already have an eraser on top too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing idea! I am a pre-service teacher so I am always on the look out for ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this idea but I did with old video cases (free from second hand stores) and was able to easily fit normal sized dry erase markers inside the cover. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a great idea. I will be using this in the new year for my kindergarten class to practice letter writing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very resourceful! It would be fun to have 1 large letter of the alphabet on each case for the little ones to trace
    ... if you had 26 cases :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found it when I was looking for a different sort of information but I am very interested in the article, It is nice to read such kind of good posts I like your work keep it up!
    Dry erase board

    ReplyDelete
  16. An interesting post indeed! Tell me one thing, should we consider educational cds for learning lessons?

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have been using the dvd cases for "Close reading cases" for a couple of years. We also store dry erase markers, thin highlighters, and small sticky notes in them. My class this past year couldn't handle it though and they were getting destroyed. We switched to gallon bags as "close kits" and added a sheet protector (so I only had to make a class set of any close reads). They can still use the bags as "white boards" to write on when I ask questions, and they take up less room than the dvd cases. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a cute idea! http://godryerase.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a neat idea!! Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so glad that I found your idea. I have had a ton of these jewel cases for years and never could think of what to do with them. It is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this idea. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete